Glee’s Take on Eating Disorders Out of Line

Glee has taken on some great issues that teens are often faced with including topics such as bullying, sexuality, virginity and much more!!

One topic Glee has failed horribly at covering is eating disorders.  Eating disorders are often life threatening and last night’s episode of Glee made it nothing short of a joke.

Some background for those who didn’t see the episode:  Marley’s costume was taken in by her arch nemesis, without her knowledge, to make her think she is gaining weight at lightening speed and then she encourages Marley to use two fingers to throw up.

The way the writers/producers covered the topic was a disgrace. Liana Rosenman, the founder of Project Heal took to Facebook to write an open letter to the producers of the show:

The letter can be found on page 2.

6 Responses to Glee’s Take on Eating Disorders Out of Line

1. Emily says:

when i first heard about the ED story line i was glad that people would begin to realize how it affects people, but was appalled when the plot was aired. Marley had her eating disorder for 3/4 episodes then, it seems she was magically cured. It shows people that you can just stop purging/starving. It doesn’t happen that way, and its given viewers the wrong impression of the disorder.

2. Mika Bowsen says:

I love you Liana Rosenman. I seriously love you. Your work and determination inspires me. As a sufferer from bulimia and anorexia for 7 years, I know that it is one of the worst diseases in the world. I wouldn’t wish it on my WORST enemy. Recovery is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and even though its a long proccess, I am thankful for every day it has given me. I am appalled by Glee’s interpretation, but I’m encouraged by the reactions it got. No matter how the media portrays it, we all know the risks of Eating disorders and the horrible things it leads to and all the pain it brings. We can stop this. We just need to keep fighting the media and all the people who don’t understand. And to anyone suffering: This is not something “to be cool” this is not “a joke” this is a life threatening miserable disease. Stay strong everyone!!!!

3. Purple Dreamer says:

I completely agree – Glee took it too far this time. As one recovering from an ED, this mockery that Glee is making is way too much. In the past, they’ve much more tactfully handled sensitive topics, but here, they went way awry in my mind.

4. StayStrongForDemiLovato says:

this is soo true. it’s discusting.unlike every other issue that has gone on in glee, they usually get ignored in the next episodes (like Karofsky’s suicide attempt. the next episode was about blaine and his brother…. excuse me glee, did u not notice the bigger picture??? yet this issue has just continued now 2 weeks in a row. and nothing about how it’s wrong, not healthy and stuff… just how it’s cool, and how it helps and shit. um i don;t really understand how an issue finally gets carried about 2 weeks in a row, yet has a negative impact because like this woman says, there isn’t even service hotline or anything at the end and it’s stupid. I honestly am considering watching the show because of this. glee has always inspired me. shown me that even though it’s not typical high school life, it’s okay to be who you are. but my ED is not okay… i don’t want this show to teach me that it is okay, so i’m ready to avoid it.

5. Megan Walsh says:

Speaking as a young person, I have to say I’m actually offended by how bad the bulimia-storyline is – I just felt like it was being treated as a huge joke, and the message I got was “You don’t need to make yourself puke – if you’re skinny”. I also got that if a handsome white male tells me to stop puking, I can suddenly just “stop”. -_- I mean, no one has told Marley that Kitty (the bully) is wrong, and I think it doesn’t set a good examples to teenage girls like myself. To be honest, Glee is glorifying Eating Disorders and encouraging them.

6. Lynda Smith says:

This show’s depiction of eating disorders was appalling. It is ironic because my daughter was an extra on the show for 2 years and had to leave the show to return to treatment. The restrooms on set constantly smelled like vomit, many of the stars and extras bingeing and purging. In addition the constant pressure of fitting into the size 4 and 6 costumes was too, too much.
    Wake up GLEE, many have lost loved ones because of eating disorders. You have a responsibility to show fans the truth in these social issues. Eating disorders are real causing severe mental and physical health issues, not just some girl sticking her fingers down her throat……..