TAKEN 3 TAKES THE TOP OF THE WEEKEND TOP TEN BOX OFFICE 1/11/15
TAKEN 3 USES ITS SPECIAL SKILLS TO TAKE THE WEEKEND TOP TEN BOX OFFICE WHILE SELMA MARCHES TO THE NUMBER TWO SPOT!
1. Taken 3/Fox Wknd/$ 40.4 Total/$ 40.4
2. Selma/Paramount Wknd/$ 11.2 Total/$ 13.5
3. Into the Woods/Disney Wknd/$ 9.8 Total/$ 102.3
4. The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies Wknd/$ 9.4 Total/$ 236.5
5. Unbroken/Universal Wknd/$ 8.4 Total/$ 101.6
6. The Imitation Game/Weinstein Wknd/$ 7.6 Total/$ 40.8
7. Night at the Museum: Secret… Wknd/$ 6.7 Total/$ 99.5
8. Annie/Sony Wknd/$ 4.9 Total/$ 79.4
9. The Woman in Black 2/Relativity Wknd/$ 4.8 Total/$ 22.3
10. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt.1 Wknd/$ 3.8 Total/$ 329.5
I SINCERELY DOUBT IT TAKES LONGER TO BEAT UP PEOPLE IN LA
Taken 3 opens at number one while Selma moves into the top ten at number two and what’s the difference between it and the second sequel to an utterly ridiculous action film? 19 minutes. What. The. Hell!?! There’s not much good I can say about the first Taken movie other than it gave Liam Neeson a new career and it was short. 93 minutes was all it needed to tell its severely right wing fantasy (American dad is the savior while mom is wrong, daughter is wrong, foreigners are bad, the French are untrustworthy allies, the party girl dies a heroin addicted prostitute and the virginity of the good girl saves her because it makes her valuable to the evil Arabs trying to buy her). This somehow needs nearly the same amount of time another film needs to deliver a complex, detailed accounting of one of the most turbulent times in this nation’s history. This is not to say a good, dumb action film cannot be long. Die Hard is over two hours, but given how the first one was so ridiculous I passed on the second (which was actually 92 minutes, because they didn’t need to explain the plot), I sincerely doubt this is similar. I did mean to see it but either I was more tired than I thought or my subconscious simply refused to let me awaken to go through this again. This is supposedly the last one but don’t kid yourself. They are not going let go of this cash cow. Neeson just won’t be in it. And it’ll probably show up on Netflix. Let me put it this way. They fourth Scorpion King movie has just arrived on DVD. Fourth. There were only three Mummy movies, which is where the character originated.