AMERICAN SNIPER TAKES THE TOP OF THE WEEKEND TOP TEN BOX OFFICE 1/19/15
AMERICAN SNIPER SETS A JANUARY RECORD OVER THE THREE DAY WEEKEND, WHILE THE WEDDING RINGER OPENS AT NUMBER TWO!
1. American Sniper/Warner Wknd/$ 89.5 Total/$ 92.9
2. The Wedding Ringer/SGems Wknd/$ 20.6 Total/$ 20.6
3. Paddington/Weinstein Wknd/$ 19.0 Total/$ 19.0
4. Taken 3/Fox Wknd/$ 8.8 Total/$ 63.4
5. Selma/Paramount Wknd/$ 8.8 Total/$ 26.4
7. Into the Woods/Disney Wknd/$ 6.8 Total/$ 114.5
8. The Hobbit: Battle of the 5 Armies Wknd/$ 4.9 Total/$ 244.6
9. Unbroken/Universal Wknd/$ 4.2 Total/$ 108.5
6. The Imitation Game/Weinstein Wknd/$ 6.8 Total/$ 50.4
10. Blackhat/Universal Wknd/$ 3.8 Total/$ 3.8
WHY CAN’T IT BE BOTH?
I don’t know if it’s sad or ironic or that on MLK Day weekend the number one film is about a sniper. A holiday for a champion of non-violence and oppose of the Vietnam War who was killed by a sniper’s bullet and America goes to see the movie about the most lethal sniper in US history. Goes to prove the old adage that there’s no such thing as bad publicity as the veracity of the sniper’s claims are being questioned, especially when claimed he and a buddy killed over two dozen Americans during the flood of New Orleans and once punched out Jesse Ventura in a bar. There’s absolutely no proof of the first and Ventura just won almost $2M in a defamation suit against the late sniper’s estate (in more irony the sniper himself was killed by another vet at a shooting range). It’s nominated for a few Oscars so I guess I’ll have to see it, but given it’s Clint Eastwood directing I’m in no great rush. You know how far too many directors are all style and no substance? No one will ever accuse Eastwood of that. “Laconic” is the term most often used to describe his “style.” I prefer “dry as toast.” Just as too much of a spice can kill a dish none at all can leave it equally unappetizing. I mean if you’re going to go that way why not simply make a documentary?
GET IT? HE’S LITTLE
The Wedding Ringer opens at number two and Kevin Hart isn’t just striking the iron while it’s hot, he beating down into pennies with this onslaught on the theaters of America. But can you blame him? Being the hot comedian of the moment has a shelf life of the average fruit fly. Remember Dane Cook’s moment? Granted Kevin Hart is actually funny, something that Cook was unburdened with, but these movies look as generic as anything he put out.