FOCUS IS CLEARLY AT THE TOP OF THE WEEKEND TOP TEN BOX OFFICE 3/1/15
FOCUS CAN CLEARLY BE SEEN AT THE TOP OF THE WEEKEND TOP TEN BOX OFFICE, WHILE THE LAZARUS EFFECT CAN’T RISE ABOVE NUMBER FIVE.
1. Focus/WB Wknd/$ 19.1 Total/$ 19.1
2. Kingsman: The Secret Service/Fox Wknd/$ 11.8 Total/$ 85.7
3. The SpongeBob Movie/Par Wknd/$ 11.2 Total/$ 140.3
4. Fifty Shades of Grey/ Universal Wknd/$ 10.9 Total/$ 147.8
5. The Lazarus Effect/Relativity Wknd/$ 10.6 Total/$ 10.6
6. McFarland, USA/Disney Wknd/$ 7.8 Total/$ 22.0
7. American Sniper/Warner Wknd/$ 7.7 Total/$ 331.1
8. The Duff/LionsGate Wknd/$ 7.2 Total/$ 20.1
9. Still Alice/SPC Wknd/$ 2.7 Total/$ 2.7
10. Hot Tub Time Machine 2/Par Wknd/$ 2.4 Total/$ 10.3
IT’S CLEAR TO ME HOW LITTLE I CARE
Focus opens at number one and in it Will Smith plays a con man…and that’s pretty much where I lost all interest. I cannot stand con man and heist movies. Some people love them, but I’m not one of them. David Mamet adores them, which is why he likes to make them and wants to do them the way John Ford did westerns, but I’d sooner see a horror movie than watch heist/con movie. The best part of Ocean’s Eleven is the gathering at the beginning. I stop watching once the actual heist plan starts. That’s how little I care. I know that “they’re all the same” can be applied to pretty much any genre, but it’s particularly annoying with the heist/con flick because it’s going to go one of three ways: 1) it works with the possible exception of painfully faux hiccups that our super-heist/con men improvise their way through, 2) it fails, but this is because one one heist/con men has been conning the other to get all the money all along and 3) it works and afterward everyone starts to betray/kill one another. This looks like the second and I could really care less.
IT’S FUNNY BECAUSE I THINK HE’S AN IDIOT
Kingsman: The Secret Service holds at number two and also in this as the villain is Samuel L. Jackson and is no one going to talk about the fact he’s playing a cross between Bill Gates and Russell Simmons? Especially the latter, all the way down to a man his age stupidly trying to dress like a 20-year-old with a baseball cap on crooked. I mean he’s even got the lisp!