“Can’t Buy Me Love” Star Amanda Peterson Dead; Celebs React
Yesterday was a sad day in Hollywood and for all who grew up in the eighties as we have learned that “Can’t Buy Me Love” star Amanda Peterson has passed away. She was only forty-three. You may remember her as the super popular girl in the flick who took on a nerdy classmate played by Patrick Dempsey and attempted to make him hip. In the end, we all know that they fell in love and it is what is inside that counts. Post-film, Peterson seemed to fade into oblivion, starring in a handful of made-for-television movies before she settled down in Colorado.
It was alleged, according to E!, that she went on to attend school and model. As for her cause of death, that has yet to be determined but apparently, Peterson had some health problems that family knew about such as sleep apnea. After getting zero response from Amanda, authorities were called to her Colorado home, where she was pronounced dead. Her father spoke to TMZ and had this to say: “she had some illness and a sleep apnea problem that may have contributed.”
The report that was written upon her death stated that she had dealt with pneumonia and sinusitis while her father spoke about her living conditions. Peterson had been living in a moldy home but eventually relocated around a year or so ago. Many celebrities have come out on Twitter to express their sadness upon hearing the news of Amanda Peterson’s passing. Here are just a few:
- Sarah Michelle Gellar: “When I was younger, I used to want to be #AmandaPeterson. I even asked my mom for a white leather fringe jacket #RipAmandaPeterson“
- Lance Bass: “Say it ain’t so! Cindy Mancini has passed away! ; ( RIP Amanda Peterson / #CantBuyMeLove“
- Brad Everett Young: “NOOO!! I’m completely devastated! I just talked to Amanda last month & arranged a Can’t Buy Me Love reunion shoot! :(“
- Scott Foley: “RIP Amanda Peterson. The teen in me is heartbroken.”
- Donald Faison: “Cindy Mancini was my first crush. RIP Amanda Peterson.”
No word from co-star Patrick Dempsey just yet but I’m sure that as soon as he says something, if he in fact does, we will be on top of it. Peterson leaves behind a husband and two children. Our thought and prayers are with all who knew and loved her!